To increase the signup rate of visitors to the oDesk site I changed the homepage:
- Created a clear and easy-to-grasp value proposition, and used simple graphics to communicate it to new visitors.
- Introduced self-segmentation into the main part of the homepage to send each user to the tailored messaging that most fit their profile.
- Used multi-variant page testing to determine the layout that yielded the highest conversion rate; in contrast to the initial hypothesis, the best layout was the one with the least information, messaging simplicity rather than distracting with metrics and social proof.
- Embedded an animated video that I designed to explain, in simple terms, what the business is all about.
- New homepage alone converted visitors at 250% of original version.
- Repeated A/B tests and demonstrated that the homepage design was sound and consistently outperformed other versions.
||Redesigned homepage consistently
outperformed original supporting 2.5X
annual increase in signups